Frequently Asked Questions
What is #GivingTuesday?
- GivingTuesday is a global generosity movement that unleashes the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and their world.
- GivingTuesday was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good. Over the past seven years, this idea has grown into a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity.
- GivingTuesday strives to build a world in which the catalytic power of generosity is at the heart of the society we build together, unlocking dignity, opportunity, and equity around the globe.
- GivingTuesday’s global network collaborates year-round to inspire generosity around the world, with a common mission to build a world where generosity is part of everyday life.
Who can participate?
- Everyone! GivingTuesday has been built by a broad coalition of partners, including individuals, families, nonprofits, schools, religious organizations, small businesses and corporations. We see people and organizations participate in #GivingTuesday activities in many countries in the world. Whether you give your time, money, voice, talent, action, or kindness–you can participate!
How can I participate in #GivingTuesday?
- Participating in any #GivingTuesday campaigns is about joining a global movement for generosity and there are so many ways to do that. Whether you give your voice, goods, your time, or your money, being generous is a way to fight for the causes you care about and help people in need.
- You can join in this global movement for unity and giving back in a variety of ways:
- Discover a local fundraiser, community drive or coordinated event to join others in your area or with your same interests in giving back — they need your help.
- Give to your favourite cause or a fundraiser to help those in need.
- Share kindness with your neighbours.
- Show gratitude to the people who are making sure we still have the services we rely on, even at risk to their own life.
- Use social media to spread the word!
- Talk about giving and generosity using the hashtag #GivingTuesday
- Share our Facebook posts — facebook.com/GivingTuesdayNG
- Follow us on Twitter @GivingTuesdayN and use the #GivingTuesday hashtag
- Share our social media channels in your organizational and personal social networks
- Announce your participation in #GivingTuesday to your networks and email lists
What does it cost? What if I don’t have any money
- There are no costs to participating in #GivingTuesday. GivingTuesday is a free and open movement to unleash generosity. All of our resources are available for free through our website.
- If your nonprofit is using a digital fundraising platform, there may be costs associated with the tool you choose to use – check with your technology providers.
- If you are an individual who wants to give back, there are many ways to do so. #GivingTuesday is about giving of all types — some may choose to give a financial contribution to their favourite cause or a fundraising drive, others will opt to reach out to neighbours, start an advocacy campaign, donate goods or extra supplies, share gratitude to frontline workers and those keeping us safe. If you can show generosity and share kindness, you have something to give!
How does GT add value for nonprofits? Communities? Individuals?
- GivingTuesday is uniquely positioned to lead a collective generosity event that brings together partners, shifts behaviour, amplifies networks and drives local action on a global scale.
- The GivingTuesday leadership network now encompasses 60+ countries and 200+ US communities. GivingTuesday has driven more than a billion dollars of giving online in the US, and many multiples of that worldwide. We’ve shifted giving cultures around the world, and have changed the conversation about movement building.
- We’re an established ecosystem with hundreds of millions of participants, of all races, faiths and political views, in every country on the globe. We catalyze support for critical causes. We have convened and collaborated with hundreds of leaders to innovate a new approach to movement building that is growing impact worldwide. We have the systems, resources, and networks in place to activate giving in a time of unprecedented need.
- GivingTuesday supports community organizers and movement builders to drive action in their communities, regions, countries, cultures.
- GivingTuesday offers a way to turn individual passion into collective power by connecting people, networks, and organizations for new collaborations and opportunities/ideas for acts of generosity, no matter their location, economic status, or ability.
- GivingTuesday has the data, insights, and platforms to exponentially increase generous behaviour on a massive scale.
What resources are there for nonprofits?
- GivingTuesday and its partners are compiling and sharing free resources, templates, and other assets to help nonprofit and community organizations communicate with their supporters and encourage participation
- Free training sessions, virtual networking town halls, and data projects will also be facilitated by GivingTuesday staff and its network of global leaders to share ideas and collaborate on projects.
- Many platform partners and other organizations — such as consultants, technology providers, professional services, etc. are also offering special programs and pro bono help to support community engagement and increased giving.